Hear ye Hear ye, Read this blog

Hear ye Hear ye, Read this blog

This is some good reading

This is some good reading

IDK, this stuff looks a little skechy to me...

IDK, this stuff looks a little skechy to me...

Monday, July 21, 2008

Emerging Technologies

Before I start this entry I have to say I'm feeling pretty bad about this blog. We just read articles in LING 695 about what makes blogs effective, and I'm pretty sure mine is lacking. Even Erin said the only good thing about my blog is the monkey pictures. This blog is what Knobel and Lankshear call a "structured" blog, so really it's not my fault.



The article I read today talked about several new technologies that are now available online as tools for language learners. The major developments of Web 2.0 are the availability of tools that can be accessed directly on the web, rather that on a users computer. Tools such as photo editing software, text editing software, document storage, document writing, writing feedback and assessment can be used online with any web browser.

The author points out that although Language learning is often more complex than the practice and drills that are available online, there are tools, particularly new tools that can have a positive impact on learning L2. He refers to young people as the social-networking age, and believes that we must find means to help students become more articulated and effective writers in whatever language they choose. I agree with this point of view. Why waste time trying to stop students from participating in these networks they enjoy and feel connected to? Why not spend the time finding ways to use that motivation to benefit the students language learning. This just takes me back to what we talked about in class today. There is so much motivation for students to belong to online communities, so now we just need to figure out how to harness it.

I am very interested in learning more about some of these new Web 2.0 tools. I haven't had much experience with any type of online editing software, but I see some potential uses with my students. The last program the article talks about BonPatron, where the software actually gives writers possible corrections, but makes them have to engage and choose how to correct the writing themselves sounds really good. I think some Yup'ik speakers should start working on a similar program for immersion students, or anyone learning Yup'ik.

It is obvious that I'm a huge supporter of technology in education. I have read several times that most of the jobs that school age children will have when they grow up don't even exist yet--that is exciting and scary. To me it means we can't simply teach children how to use computer programs, but we need to teach them how to be learners, how to access resources, and how to use the Internet as a tool.

Favorite acronym of the article: wysiwyg

Godwin-Jones, R. (2008). Emerging technologies web-writing 2.0: Enabling, documenting, and assessing writing online, 12 (2), 7-13.

Au revoir,
fmrm


srmrvilyvm

No comments:

hmmm...very interesting

hmmm...very interesting

I don't hear you