Hear ye Hear ye, Read this blog

Hear ye Hear ye, Read this blog

This is some good reading

This is some good reading

IDK, this stuff looks a little skechy to me...

IDK, this stuff looks a little skechy to me...

Monday, September 15, 2008

Teacher Suspended for Refusing to Give State Test


What if every teacher in the whole U.S. refused to administer the State tests--they couldn't fire all of us?? Right?
Seriously though, I had mixed feelings about the article. I agree with the teacher that the tests are often not fair and don't produce a lot of positive things for our students, but I think most teachers would agree with that, but yet we have willingly chosen to work for state run (and funded) public education system, and unfortunately it's not always for us to decide a lot of things we might like to decide.

side note: I can't believe that guy only loses $1000 bucks after not working for 9 days!

I had questions to whether the teacher did his part in preparing his students for the mandated testing--I know a lot of districts use data from said tests to determine placement for different things for students. Not to mention that these tests are probably not going to go away soon, and the more exposure students are given the more likely they are to succeed--soooo...did this teacher make his point at the expense of the students?

One other good thing about this article was that it is written in at least size 12 font--made my eyes happy!!

1 comment:

languagemcr said...

Emily,
Yes, I agree. He got the media's attention for refusing to give the test but at what cost and what changes were made for the better. Maybe a grassroots effort is what is needed which means you have to get a whole lot of people to agree.
Marilee

PS nice job on visuals to go with your posts

hmmm...very interesting

hmmm...very interesting

I don't hear you