Hear ye Hear ye, Read this blog

Hear ye Hear ye, Read this blog

This is some good reading

This is some good reading

IDK, this stuff looks a little skechy to me...

IDK, this stuff looks a little skechy to me...

Monday, September 22, 2008

Language Testing, McNamara Chapter 1


I actually liked the beginning of this chapter because the author starts talking big picture stuff---which really made me think "I have never really thought about how many flippin tests we have in our society." And then I started thinking...well maybe if we have to pass a test to operate a vehicle, maybe we should have to take tests to see if we are fit to be a parent, or other things that a lot of people do poorly, lol. Anyway, it's been a long day and my mind is going in weird directions.

Most of the chapter talked about the design of language tests, including the method and purpose for the test. I think it is clear to most people these days that regular old pen and paper tests are way too restricting to measure whether someone is proficient in a language or not. I, for one, think I would personally do much better on a Yupik pen and paper test than I would on an oral or performance test because 1) I can be good at bs-ing, and 2) I can figure stuff out that is written that I'm not so good at hearing or speaking. There is no way that it would be a valid assessment of my skills in the Yup'ik Language.

I think the chapter actually helped me to understand better what a criterion referenced test is when it comes to language testing. My understanding is that the criterion is the "target performance" or what you would expect competent language speaking/communicating to sound like in real life. The test would be chances for students to demonstrate these criterion.

The author makes the point that in language testing, as with all testing, even "authentic" assessments can never be 100% authentic because they are staged, and or created to test the student. He goes on to talk about the Observer paradox, which I think we can all relate to---when you are observing students do something it almost always changes the way they would normally do it (whether for the better or worse).

I think there are several types of assessments that can be used to effectively test language proficiency, and the important factor becomes the purpose of the test---Why are we testing? Is it to see if the student is proficient in English for Educational reasons? Is it to see if they can get into a secondary school? Is it to be functional in a workplace setting? All of these reasons might warrant different assessments.

The next thing I need to determine is how do I use this information...

1 comment:

Erin said...

OMG! Is that your boyfriend? He is cute. I bet he knows a lot about tests. I need more pictures on my blog. You're an inspiration to us all!

I agree that we have to take a ton of tests in our little bitty human society. Sometimes we fail those tests (such as a driving test) and that creates even more tests.

Emily, a test is not a tea party. We can cover it up with popcorn balls and pinatas but when it comes down to it, it's still just a test and everyone knows it. I think that line was my most favorite line from all of the readings.

hmmm...very interesting

hmmm...very interesting

I don't hear you