Hear ye Hear ye, Read this blog

Hear ye Hear ye, Read this blog

This is some good reading

This is some good reading

IDK, this stuff looks a little skechy to me...

IDK, this stuff looks a little skechy to me...

Monday, December 1, 2008

A one-handed blog about Writing Assessment

Authentic Assessment for English Language Learners Chapter 6: Writing Assessment


Since my class is an advanced placement writing class, I deal with writing assessment more than anything. I can't say that I had a lot of aha's reading the chapter, but I did feel that it was congruent to what I've been taught previously, and very similar to the way I teach and assess writing.

No matter what level writers I have, I always spend time teaching and re-teaching the writing process. I teach my students how scoring rubrics are used, and we use them over and over in different situations. I feel the students must see some exemplars before they are expected to know what proficient writing "looks like." I like doing writing as mini-lessons or workshops. I agree with the chapter that feedback is very important. Also teaching students how to give each other feedback is helpful for improving their own writing skills. Peer feedback/peer conferences seem to really help students with writing.

I love the idea of dialogue journals. I often have this type of "dialogue" with students over e-mail or otherwise, but this would keep the ongoing dialogue in one place, and the student would have a chance to see growth in their writing ability. This is something I'd like to implement next quarter.

Hear you all in class tomorrow!

2 comments:

languagemcr said...

Emily,
I'm glad you are thinking of doing dialog journals. It was one of my most successful activities when teaching fourth grade and high school. I learned so much about my students both academically and about their writing.
Thanks for sharing how you use the writing process.
Marilee

Would podcasts be easier on you? Or maybe you could get one of the students to scribe for you. Ha ha.

Theresa Prince said...

Waqaa Emily,I like your writing for the monkey pictures. (hee-hee) This gives me an idea for the students to practice their writing in Yup'ik using pictures. Writing in phrases and sentences will help my students to remember Yup'ik. Dialogue journals look to be good for student and teacher. Quyana for sharing.

hmmm...very interesting

hmmm...very interesting

I don't hear you